Once you’ve selected a new core system, you’ll need to decide where it will live, and how it will be secured and maintained. Will it reside on one an in-house server where you will take a DIY approach to security and maintenance – or- will you host it with a third-party server that you access through the cloud?
While it seems like a quick and easy decision, there’s a lot at stake. In fact, it’s a little like choosing between camping and staying at the Ritz Carlton.
Now, both fancy hotels and rustic campsites can be great – depending on the person. But if you’re the type who values hot showers, room service and a comfortable bed, you’ll be an unhappy camper if you try to rough it.
Here at Insuresoft, we have partnered with Microsoft Azure for the third party hosting option. Below, I will discuss the pros and cons of each option.
Microsoft Azure – The Luxury Hotel Approach
When you go with Microsoft Azure, you get the following:
- Known costs. For people who like to plan ahead, this can be ideal.
- Concierge service. Experts are running the show, and they know about to ensure everything runs smoothly.
- Robust security. Microsoft invests billions of dollars into their security, and they are continuously improving.
- 24/7 monitoring. A perceptive hotel staff will notice when something is amiss. When you host with Microsoft Azure, you get access to CrowdStrike with proactive detection of threats and anomalies.
- Room to spread out and grow. With Microsoft Azure, you can start with a little hosting space and expand as needed.
- Excellent service. Do you want a bellhop to do all the heavy lifting? Do you want room service to deliver everything you need right to you? That’s what it’s like with Microsoft Azure.
DIY Hosting – The Rustic Camping Approach
You might like the freedom of the great outdoors, but there’s a lot to consider before you decide the DIY option for hosting. If you decide to “rough it” with DIY hosting, you need to think about the following.
- Power. You wouldn’t go on a long camping trip without battery backups and generators. When you choose DIY hosting, you’ll have to provide your own power, no matter what happens.
- Internet connectivity. Microsoft Azure has a global network. Ensuring no downtime can be a challenge.
- Environment. Maintaining the right environment can be tricky. You’ll need ample space and climate control for your equipment.
- Maintenance & Security. There are a lot of dangers in the woods – and online. You’ll need to deliver robust security to keep your data safe.
Which Option Is Right for You?
The DIY approach can be attractive for the right company – but many decide to go with the swanky hotel option for a reason. In fact, since 2014, almost 100% of new Insuresoft clients have chosen to take advantage of our Microsoft Azure cloud offering.
If you’d like to explore your options, contact us.